Monday 25 November 2013

Postcards from Paraguay


A Sunset at San Bernardino

“You’ll come back in a body bag” were just a few of the encouraging words that were said to me by my friends, when I announced that I was going to Paraguay for 3 weeks after I had finished my TESOL course. Finishing Paradise with Serpents on the flight across the Atlantic Ocean from Frankfurt to São Paulo, I did feel a certain amount of trepidation, because the author had painted a very black picture of the place and it was too late to change my mind.

However, when I finally arrived at Asunción airport, the warm welcome that I received from Sara soon dispelled any fears that I had. I could easily write a novelita about my time in Paraguay, especially since I eventually spent seven weeks there and not three as originally planned, but this is a story about my experience of teaching English and not an account of my  private life.

The Iguassu Falls as seen from Brazil

Throughout 2007, I had been thinking about languages, both teaching English and learning Spanish, and my friendship with Sara really gave this a boost. Life in Rotherham had turned into a vicious circle and it had become increasingly difficult to see a way out and when, after a few months of getting to know each other, Sara suggested I go there, I jumped at the chance.

A view of the Trinidad Jesuit Mission
My touristic adventures were organised before I arrived in Paraguay and much of my stay was spent investigating work as an English teacher.

Having friends in high places helps and I was introduced to the English language schools in Asunción. At one, I was invited to sit in on a typical lesson in English given to a class of teenagers, where the teacher used a textbook and, at the Anglo, I was given the chance to teach a lawyer from CONMEBOL.

An offer of employment
Everyday, for a couple of weeks, I took the bus to go and visit my student in his house. Standing at the bus stop, with the midday winter sun blazing down on my head, I remembered that when my friends had said that it was extremely difficult for gringos to live in Paraguay, because of the heat, I knew that it was true.

Although I have fantastic memories of my short stay and still have my offer of employment from the Anglo school, should I return, I can’t see when I will go back to Paraguay; however, despite the pessimism of my friends, I am still very much alive and I am proud to say that I put my money where my mouth is and, on the last leg of the journey home, I took a prize winning photograph.


Newton's Colours

No comments:

Post a Comment