Wednesday 27 November 2013

A+ English


English Language Services

It took me a good couple of weeks to get my bearings back, when I returned to the UK from Paraguay; in the southern hemisphere, when you look at the night sky, you see a completely different set of stars and the sun appears to go the ‘wrong way’. 

When I came back to my senses, I still found that I was living in Rotherham and so I had to look further afield again. Having obtained an internationally recognised English teaching qualification that would probably get me a job at a private language academy anywhere in the world, it was easy enough to find work with A+ English in Sheffield.

I was taken on without any kind of contract, as a self employed teacher, joining a small pool of English teachers who supplemented a couple of permanent members of staff. Initially, I just taught a few lessons a week but, before long, I was teaching for over 20 hours a week, with students of different levels. The students were mainly Saudi Arabians and Libyans, but there were Swiss, Italians and Japanese too.

During the mornings, the classes were rotated between different teachers, to give the students an opportunity to have variety in their lessons. A syllabus of sorts was maintained by using a standard textbook and related audio cassettes and, at the end of the day, the teachers would swap notes to ensure that the grammar etc. would not be repeated in the next lesson with the students.

When sitting in on the lesson in Paraguay, where the teacher relied solely on a standard textbook and a whiteboard, I observed that both the teacher and the teenaged students seemed to be very bored with this methodology and, being in this position at A+ English with adult students, I felt exactly the same myself.

In the afternoons, however, the teachers were allowed much more freedom of choice and, although I don’t profess to have had any formal training or knowledge of this, I did my best to help my students with the IELTS – and these lessons were much more productive for everyone involved. 

English Language Services


No comments:

Post a Comment