Thursday 21 November 2013

A4e

A4e

Having spent a week in the sunshine, with a good wander around Barcelona, Girona and Figueres, I came back from Spain refreshed and full of ideas but it wasn’t too long before the reality of living back in Rotherham began to sink in again. Over the years, I had worked on various temporary projects that had enabled me to sign off the unemployed register, and had quite clearly demonstrated great initiative and a willingness to find work but, as far as the government was concerned, I was classified as being one of the long term unemployed.

Their solution was to send me to A4e, which is one of the private companies that were chosen to replace the good public work previously done by the Civil Service. Their reputation has since been ripped to shreds and news of their criminal activities and basic incompetence has been spread all over the media.

Claddagh Picture Framing
In my first week, I experienced bullying, condescension and various other nasty tactics that were designed to intimidate and I heard so many stories about ‘work placements’ and other incentives that gave nobody an income except for A4e.

One day, we were all locked out on the street for the whole morning, much to the great amusement of everyone, and the most productive thing that I did all day was to meet a new friend, Colm Coyne, at Claddagh Picture Framing.

I consider myself to be one of the very fortunate ones because, when I discovered that there was a separate room - away from the chaos - where English was taught to ‘foreign clients’, I immediately volunteered to join this group. I had no problem in picking up the basics of teaching English and I was soon able to deputise for the tutor when he was called into long meetings or was away for the whole day, studying for his PGCE certificate.


Newton's Colours

It was a really good insight into how immigrants of various nationalities cope with being in the UK and being unemployed, especially those who were well educated in their own country. I marvelled how keen Kim was to learn. It had taken a year for her and her boyfriend to arrive in the UK, from North Korea, travelling hidden in the back of a truck.

Before long, I was called upon by other members of staff to help others with numeracy and literacy skills, including taking them to the local market to show them how to buy fruit and vegetables, without having to rely solely on the local supermarket.

The Yorkshire Sculpture Park
One thing that really shocked me one day, was when I was asked to help them out with what to me looked liked a formal examination paper, like the ones that are used in schools. To my horror, I discovered that the ‘examination paper’ was a long set of questions that tested the student’s ability to use a simple ruler. I don’t remember if it was my mum or dad who showed me how to use a ruler, but I know that it probably only took a couple of minutes of explanation and when I talked to very many friends about this, they all said the same. Is this another case of dumb Britain? 

As luck would have it, I was offered an unpaid “placement” with a local community centre for the ethnic minority population in Rotherham, the Yorkshire Trust. After a quick meeting with the director and some skillful negotiations, I was employed as an English language teaching assistant for 30 hours a week at the minimum wage – for 13 weeks.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment