Saturday 16 November 2013

The London Underground

The London Underground Map

I’ve spent a lot of time on the London Underground over the years, usually travelling from various places that I have lived in south London – on the Northern, Victoria and District lines. Once you cross the River Thames into north London, the network becomes much more extensive and you can easily get lost, when trying to find the right connection for the next stage of your journey underground.

Londoners have a reputation for being rude, especially when you try to stop them and ask them for directions or for the time of the day – because they are always in a hurry and have more important things to do than stop and talk to a stranger. On the London Underground, this rudeness takes on a completely different dimension altogether. It is not surprising really, especially when you have to endure cramped conditions and long delays, day after day, and all you want to do is get to work or to go home - now!

When I was working out on-site I used to have to get from Wimbledon up to Great Portland Street, which involves a change of line, and you have to make sure that you take good notice of the destination that is posted on the front of each train and the ‘arrivals’ sign that is hanging above your head, otherwise you could end up going in completely the wrong direction. 

When I finished my first day of work, as a site manager, I went down onto the platform at Great Portland Street station and, since I wasn’t too sure of the right way to get home, I stopped to have a good look at the London Underground map, which can be found on every platform at every station. Perhaps it was because I like maps and my moment of understanding was reflected in my body language or the expression on my face, but three or four foreign people came up to me one after another, in just a couple of minutes, to ask if I could help and give them some good directions. 

Of course I would, because that’s what good English teachers do - they take the time to help...

No comments:

Post a Comment