Monday 27 January 2014

Directions...


On the way to Treeton


Whenever I visit a new place, the first thing that I do is get a map and orientate myself in my new surroundings. In my classroom, I like to teach the language of maps and directions too.

In 2013, it seemed like the winter would never end and, having already walked on snow for the first time and endured the cold, Irene didn’t hesitate in saying yes, when I suggested that we should take advantage of the predicted sunny spring weather at the weekend.

Having spent the best part of three weeks in various cafes - our classroom - we decided to make a change to our routine. For both the student and the teacher, one to one lessons can be extremely tiring and, after 30 hours of this, we decided to go to Doncaster for a day out.

My suggestion was made on the assumption that we would meet up in Sheffield, relatively early in the morning, and then take either the bus or train to Doncaster – both of which are well tried and trusted routes. Notwithstanding my good advice, Irene felt confident enough to meet me at 10.30 at my house. After all, she had driven all the way from Granada to Sheffield and, in preparation for this event, we studied a good set of directions, complete with a map, to get to my house.

It takes 20 minutes by bus or 15 minutes by car, if the traffic is good, but despite assurances on the phone - a few times - to say that they were nearly there, they finally arrived nearly 2 hours later from the wrong direction. At this point in time, we all just fell about laughing.

Irene assures me that, by having to stop at least 3 times to ask for directions, she had another great experience of learning about the people and the language of South Yorkshire.

Finally, in bright sunshine, we set off on the journey to Doncaster, where we briefly encountered Conisbrough Castle on our way.


No comments:

Post a Comment